Passions.  This final render of a 3D model for a remote control is the result of my passions driving me to combine all the lessons I have learned into its creation.  Originally intended only as a real-object practice for the topology skills I was focusing on recently, it continued to evolve as I added lighting, and several layers of texture to it.  These things ended up bringing it to life!

Below, you can see the clay-render wireframes.  The topology has improved immensely over my earlier models and in the act of ripping out the faces and rebuilding them over and over, I accomplished my mission to learn and practice my building of more proper mesh topology.  Admittedly, for a hard-surface object like this, you generally will not need this amount of geometry.  If you are not going to be animating it or deforming it in some way, then it would typically be unnecessary.  As a topological lesson, however, it was a great way to hone those skills!  There is something beautiful about seeing cleaner, more organized lines and flows on a mesh.

3D Model Wireframe - Remote Control (Top View)
3D Model Wireframe - Remote Control (Fore View)
3D Model Wireframe Remote Control (Side View)
3D Model Render - Remote Control (Fore View)

I ended up investing so much time into building its geometry up, I wanted to keep going.  In fact, I found it could be an endless task, adding increasingly more detailed levels of realism and detail to the object and the scene!  My next goal after topology was to tackle leveling up my texturing abilities.  So, this time, I went for it by adding the grunge layers on top of the procedural texture nodes that made up the surface material.  Fingerprints, dust particles, small flecks of colored normal map bumps on the surface, and even small chunks taken out of the geometry with booleans all added to the real-feel of this piece!

After I tackle more topology and texturing, lighting setups will have to become a focus of mine.  While working on this project, I encountered one of the “Bob Ross” style “Happy Accidents” when I added and placed a couple more lights, some slightly colored.  As soon as I did that, the entire feeling of the scene changed and it “popped” yet again!

So, all in all, this project was fantastic to work on, and see the final result!  The community reaction and engagement to it was extremely pleasing, encouraging, and humbling, too.  I am overjoyed at finally reaching a point like this with my 3D modeling skills, after much work and effort over the years.  Thank you, all, so much for that!

Thank you for stopping by to take a look — I hope you enjoy it!

You may view more details for this and other pieces on its ArtStation logo ArtStation page.

Tags:

Comments are closed

Steele Inspirations Logo
Exhibit Categories